Some People

Every time I step into work (Papa Murphy's) I recall the story involving a women, her coupon, and a scared group of workers.

It was the usual busy night. Things are moving smooth and fast, everyone is working hard until this stubborn woman walks through the door. We had a younger girl working on the "call-in" register and she was new at the time. This older women walks up to the register and I see the 2 of them start to talk and the women is getting frustrated and mad for some reason. So I take it upon myself to handle the situation because the young employee is looking frightened and doesn't know what to do. I walk up to the register and politely ask if everything is all right and the women starts freaking out because she can't use a 2 dollar coupon. The coupon has nothing to do with the pizza she ordered so I tell her that she won't be able to use the coupon, but that is not what she wanted to hear.

She continued to rant and spaz so I just decided to let her use the coupon but that wasn't enough for her because now she wants a free pizza because of HER "inconvenience". She demands to speak with our manager so I go and get our manager and the woman once again begins to scream and create a scene. At this point I'm curled up in the feedle position in the corner because this woman is actually scaring the poop out of me. Everyone at this time has completely stopped what they're doing. No one is moving, no one is talking, everyone is just watching this crazy lady. Finally the scene ends with the woman throwing the coupon in my manager's face and storming out the door (without her pizza). I can't believe what I just saw!

We tend to overreact sometimes but this woman raised the bar a bit too high. I know that when we are frustrated the hardest thing to do is treat people with respect, but nearly 100% of the time your respect with return with greater value. I guarantee that your display of respect is going to influence all those around you who witness it. If we continue to show each other respect and kindness "than one day the whole human family is going to live in peace." Keep your mind sharp and your coupons even sharper.
---Joe---

1 comments:

dancing_queen said...

oh papa murphy's....we've all had our ups and downs at that place...that job honestly sucks most of the time i suppose...but without it i would not know the amazing people that i do and call them my friends. i love all you guys for always being there. =] -megan b