Lessons from a Pup


Alright... This puppy pictured above is both the cutest and the most frustrating object of our attention lately.

He doesn't quite understand the meaning of no, nor the importance of that simple word. I know it might just be a puppy thing but he just won't stop biting. He doesn't know when it's time to wrestle and when to settle down to just be petted.

But of course now as I'm writing this, I call him over and he is not biting and allowing me to pet him. Ironic.

Anyway, I can't help and think that this can be used as an analogy with our relationship with God. God plays the part of the human, we play the part of the dog. Though we have some smarts and common sense to go fetch a ball or follow our human, sometimes, we are dumb. We don't know when to stop biting things or ripping up pillows. And if we could only see it from God's angle, I think we would realize that what we are doing as a society is so far off the path He created for us that it's like we keep rejecting the "No" command from our master. I believe that's why there is so much suffering in the world. It's not that God wants to or He's even doing any of it. But I believe that He is allowing it. He is a just God and He will follow through on what He said in Romans 6:23. "For the wages of sin is death." But that's not it. The rest of that verse says, "But the gift of God is eternal life." This is great news for those who realize their sin! Their future can go from gloom to brighter than the sun.

Imagine with me for second: Eternity. Think about it for a second...

Seriously, think about it.

When I think about it, it makes my stomach feel weird. So then I move on to thinking about eternity in Heaven. Wow, what a glorious time of celebration, fellowship and worship. Being together with all the Christians over the ages. It will have no end.

Other end of the spectrum: eternity in Hell. This is a never-ending time of isolation. Burning both in your body and the fact of being totally separated from God. Forever.

I've heard a saying once that said this: Earth is as close to Hell that Christians will get. On the other hand, Earth is as close to Heaven that non-believers will get to.

It's true. One of my fellow shakers made the observation that he thinks the physical pain will be very much secondary compared to being apart from God for eternity. I agree whole-heartedly.

I can't stand to think of any of my friends going to spend eternity from God forever. This is my motivation to love others like Christ did.

So repent of your sins. Even if you are already saved. Repentance should be one of our biggest acts of worship because we are realizing how wretched we truly are and how much we are in need of a Savior.

I'm right there with you guys. Keep on the straight and narrow.
Love,
-sam
Song of the Day- Searching for a Savior by Building 429

0 comments: